Carlos Nogueira was born in Mozambique, 1947.
He studied Sculpture at the Fine Arts School of Universidade do Porto and graduated in Painting from the Fine Arts School of Universidade de Lisboa.
Held scholarships from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (1982-1983), the Secretary of State for Culture (1989-1990), and the Luso-American Development Foundation (1989).
Received the Camões Prize at the 2nd Vila Nova de Cerveira International Art Biennale (1980), and an Honourable Mention at the Caldas da Rainha International Sculpture and Drawing Biennale (1995).
Was a guest lecturer at several institutions, such as the Museu de Arte Contemporânea de São Paulo, the Università della Svizzera Italiana’s Mendrisio Academy of Architecture, the Arts, Architecture and Fine Arts Faculties of Universidade de Lisboa and Ar.Co - Centro de Arte & Comunicação Social.
Represented Portugal at the Venice Biennale (1986), at the Milan Architecture Triennial (1996), and at the Riga Sculpture Quadrennial (2004). Teaches at Colégio Moderno since 1974, and in 1998 became a Guest Associate Professor at the Architecture Department of Universidade Autónoma de Lisboa. Lives and works in Lisbon. Several of his works are displayed in public spaces, such as the gardens of Brighton University, the gardens of Casapella and Schosspalde Bern, in Bern, at Casa da Cerca – Centro de Arte Contemporânea, Almada, at the Economics Faculty of Universidade Nova de Lisboa and, most recently, in 2012, at Almourol Parque de Escultura Contemporânea, Vila Nova da Barquinha. Carlos Nogueira is currently installing a piece at Museu Internacional de Escultura Contemporânea de Santo Tirso (Parque Urbano da Rabada).